Friday 14 December 2012

Bird Photography

0 comments
Bird Photography Biography
 Thanks for visiting my website. I have been a birder for over 30 years and a photographer longer. I was born & raised in Los Angeles. I graduated in 1979 from The University of Southern California with a B.S. in geography/geology.I have always had an appreciation for nature, especially after joining the Sierra Club at age 20. Numerous backpacking trips in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. propelled my interest in mountaineering and nature photography. In 1983 I climbed my first 20,000’ peak in Nepal, Lamjung Himal. Three years later I climbed the 8th highest peak in the world, Manaslu. During this time, I primarily photographed landscapes. My birding & photography combined in 1989 when I purchased my first super telephoto lens, a used Nikon 500mm f4P. Once I could get close up images of birds and animals, my direction moved primarily towards animals.After college, I worked for approx. 25 years in the outdoor lighting industry. I was involved in manufacturing light fixtures & posts for projects like sports facilities & stadiums, auto dealerships, shopping centers, & roadways. I am now retired and currently reside in the Mar Vista area of Los Angeles, with my wife Adrienne & daughter Mallory.
Southern California has some of the most diverse geography in the world, which provides excellent opportunities for photography. Coastal, mountain, and desert habitat are nearby or within reasonable driving distance. It is why Los Angeles County typically has more bird species recorded than any other county in North America.I have been fortunate to travel all over the world. By age 27, I had already been to all 7 continents. The Mojave Desert in Southern California and the tropics of South America are my two favorite locations.One of my most memorable experiences occurred in 1981-my first photo published, in Sierra Magazine. I won first place in the annual Sierra Club Photography Contest. My King Penguin photo from South Georgia Island, near Antarctica, was selected from over 5,000 entries. Since then, my images have been published in a variety of media. I am represented by two photo agencies, and also keep my own stock photos. Some of my photographic credits include.
 

Leave a Reply